Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Jordanella floridae

Soon I will be in possession of some very young american-flag or florida flag fish (J. floridae). Currently they are eggs, by the time I get them they will probably be a week or two old. I plan on either keeping them individually in gallon jars and changing half the water daily, or putting them into breeder nets in my 60 gallon planted tank, which will be their eventual home. I have yet to decide which way I want to raise them. I just have to get them big enough that Bull (my angelfish) will not eat them.

J. floridae is often referred to by two different common names. The first American-flag fish, is because of its coloring. When in adult coloration males look somewhat like the American flag. The second, florida flag fish, is a combination of its scientific name (J. floridae) and it's common name. This name is a bit misleading as it makes it seem like the fish is a flag fish, when it is actually a killie fish. Either way I most often here it referred to as a florida flag fish, or simply as a florida flag.

No comments: