Monday, July 23, 2007

I Have Been Converted

I have been converted to the world of Killies. Today Paul, Don and I went on a little road trip to a fish store in Buffalo. They had an awesome selection and they had killies . . . more than just the golden wonder killies I am used to seeing in stores. Actually, I don't think they had any golden wonders. Anyway, the two that caught my eye were blue gularis and A. Bitaeniatum "ijebu ode". After speaking quickly with Paul (meaning, being persuaded by Paul) when my turn came up to get fish I heard myself asking for a pair killies . . . I decided on the Bits. The gularis are a gorgeous fish, but they get kinda big and wouldn't do well in my 60 gallon with the angelfish. I had the guy helping us grab a male and the female he was showing off for . . . and then he proceeded to drop the male on the floor. He quickly grabbed him and put him in the specimen container with the female, which he immediatly showed off for. He obviously was not phased so I said "I'll take em!". I also grabbed a plant and a trio of rasboras.

The fish did fine on the way home, but not having intended to get anything that wasn't going in my 60 gallon I did not have a place to put them. I was thinking I was going to have to put them in a breeder net, but lightly mentioned they would be happier in a tank to my girlfriend. She surprisingly did not object to another tank, so the fish went into a bucket and I got to work. I am now currently setting up an old 2 gallon slate bottom tank we had previously used for a betta.
A thin layer of black sand, a small piece of driftwood and some live plants are going to be the decor. I will have to go to lowes or home depot for a light for the plants, but that should be all I have left to get.

No comments: